Thursday 25 April 2013

Confessions of a TV Addict #1

The Carrie Diaries

Okay so the first show up in this series is The Carrie Diaries. The programme is based on the book by Candace Bushnell of the same name. It follows the young and ever fabulous Carrie Bradshaw through her teens in the 80s and is all about love, relationships, friendships and drama.It stars the up and coming curly haired starlet AnnaSophia Robb (Violet Beauregarde in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). It is on the CW network and has just finished its first series (I watched it on HULU by telling my account I was in the USA, smart I know :))

Quick Summary: Carrie Bradshaw is a young girl living in Connecticut restless and a little lost after her mothers untimely death. Her father manages to get her a part time internship at a New York law firm, which finds her in the city regularly. This is when Miss Bradshaw begins her long love affair with the city and her love for fashion begins to blossom. While browsing the rails in her first ever department store trip she meets fabulous art director Larissa who immediately wants to shoot her customised hand bag. This leads to a beautiful and fashionable bond forming between the two and Carrie being offered a PA position at the magazine Larissa works at. Between New York, Carries writing ambitions, drama with family, friends and love interests back in Connecticut, Carrie has her hands full.

So now for the real information. I LOVE SATC in a big way, so obviously I was apprehensive and I would say I almost had my guard up about this TV show taking over the cult classics glamorous reigns. Not to mention that Sarah Jessica Parker originated the character of Carrie Bradshaw and those are some pretty big Louboutins to fill. Now let me tell you, this show met all my expectations and more. Its fun, has an amazing cast, engaging and realistic plot lines with just the right amount of drama, and its all pretty relevant today even though its set to an 80s backdrop. I actually think the 80s vibe adds to everything, its different, bright and makes room for loads of cool cultural references that had me googling the night away.   
The star of the show AnnaSophia Robb is the perfect choice for the young and slightly naive Carrie. She is so likeable that you start to believe she is your new best friend, and just want everything to work out for her in New York. She also works some amazing and not to mention perfect curly locks, which has every girl watching reaching for the curling tongs. Her love interest Sebastian played by the gorgeous Austin Butler is reason enough on its own to tune into the show. He is charming, a complete bad boy and doesn't seem to mind taking his top off every few episodes. Other characters needing honourable mentions are Carrie's angsty and hilarious younger sister Dorrit played by Stefania Owen she seems to be setting the bar for the 80s rebellious wild child. Also Larissa played by well known British actress Freema Agyeman is the perfect eccentric and stylish mentor for young Bradshaw.
The aspect I love about this show which I also think sets it aside from other teen shows, is the 80s fashion and music. The soundtrack is amazing and had me racing to make a 80s playlist for my ipod. It features classic 80s hits which had been left forgotten such as Missing You - John Waite, Brass IN pocket - The Pretenders, Dancing with myself - Billy Idol, Heaven - Brian Adams and not to mention hundreds of Madonna classics thrown in there. The fashion on the show is bright, fun and is also styled in a way which is definitely still wearable in 2013. Carrie rocks tutus, neon, glitter, bright prints, while her sister goes all goth grunge on us in ripped tees, leather and distressed denim. Each episode leaves me completely inspired in the fashion department and gives me an itching to raid my mums wardrobe for some vintage 80s garments.

All in all this TV show is a definite watch for any girl who loves fashion, hot guys, New York  and is looking for some light TV relieve. I love it as you may be able to tell, but let me know what you think in the comments :)

credit for the little icon goes to @stylestrology twitter account.

1 comment:

  1. I love it !! <3

    I watched this series !! :)

    hey, this is our blog - http://kefashionsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete