Thursday 25 April 2013

Dry Skin Drama #1

Dry skin is something that can affect you year round. Its uncomfortable, unattractive and extremely annoying. It affects the make up you can wear, how you apply your fake tan, how long it takes you to get ready in the morning and not to mention your self esteem. Whether its on your face or your body it’s a complete pain, and something they can be very difficult to fix. Its all about using the right products for YOU, because everybody's skin is completely different.

I have extremely dry skin which is prone to eczema, so these posts are going to focus on what I use to tackle this. I will also include my trial and error products that might not necessarily work for me but that I think would work for other dry skin issues, or different skin types. I am obviously not a doctor so I can't 100% advise any sort of treatment, but these posts will just be about different products that have helped improve the condition of my skin. I hope these posts will be able to help other people who suffer from dry skin, dermatitis or eczema.

Aveeno Skin Care

As the winter months start to creep in, my skin will undoubtedly begin to get very dry and irritated. The weather seems to have a massive impact on the condition of my skin, warmer weather seems to calm the dryness but the harsh cold makes it severely dry up. Every time this happens I always go back to using the same moisturiser Aveeno Cream. 

I find that treating eczema and dermatitis can be one big cycle of dry irritable skin hell. The steroid creams I am often prescribed by the doctor do a good job to clear the irritation but they completely dry out my skin. The main problem I have is that once the main flare up clears up, my main priority is to keep my skin hydrated and moisturised. If I use any body butter or lotion that is perfumed even mildly or that isn't completely natural it will make my flare up all over again. 

About a year ago, my Aunt who is also a sufferer of dermatitis recommended Aveeno to me. She said it had completely cleared up her skin, so I decided to give it a go. I purchased the Intensive Cream because my skin was particularly bad at that time. I used it twice a day every day and I noticed a huge difference.

The product is a medium thickness, fairly rich cream that applies smoothly to the skin. It is made of completely natural ingredients including Colloidal Oatmeal with rich emollients, which is dermatologically proven to help soothe and treat a variety of skin conditions. It leaves a protective barrier of moisture on the skin after application which is vital for people with dry skin as it locks in moisture and prevents loss of hydration. It smells a little bit strange, very strongly of oatmeal. It's not necessarily a bad smell, it doesn't smell medicinal or clinical at all. Personally I would prefer a fruity smell but it is made of skin hydrating oatmeal so we can let that one slide.

Within two weeks of using the product I noticed a massive difference within my skin, especially the dehydration and dryness of the skin on my forearms. There was a definate improvement and the more I used it the more my skin began to clear. I don't use the cream everyday when my skin is clearer as it doesn't have the nicest scent. Aveeno is my go to product for any flare ups or just dry patches of skin. Boots and Superdrug supply Aveeno and the price is around £4.00 to £20.00 which is fairly reasonable for the quality of the product. I highly recommend this to anyone with any sort of drying skin conditions, it truly is a wonderful product.

1 comment:

  1. This product sounds so good!
    -Charlotte
    http://www.incharlottesshoes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete