Friday 17 May 2013

I am very excited for The Great Gatsbsy!

The film was released yesterday and I am working non stop for the next few days, so I am not going to get a chance to see it till Tuesday or Wednesday. This is horrible for me because I have been waiting on it coming out for nearly a year!!

Ever since I was first given the book to study in English at the tender age of 14 I have adored everything about this book. I think the main attraction at the time for my young self was the sheer decadence and the beautifully described opulence of the characters and their lifestyle. I am also partial to a bit of a drama and this book is jammed packed with drama. Everyone in my class hated it and thought it was boring, I was scandalised by their reaction and turned into the biggest teachers pet that term as I was so openly enthusiastic about the text. Everybody is jumping on the Gatsby bandwagon now, and I imagine all the haters will have conveniently forgotten their originally distaste for the novel in favor of following the crowd. I don't actually care about that because 'The Great Gatsby' is such a fabulous story it deserves to be adored by all anyway, and if it takes Baz Luhrmann's film sorcery to make that happen, then so be it!
I LOVE Baz Luhrmann, he is a genius  I know everyone says it, but his style of film making is right  up my street. I love the theatricality of his films and how the production is like a Broadway show. I studied musical theatre for years, and after I saw Moulin Rouge I fell in love with his films. Romeo and Juliet is a film I can watch over and over and also I don't mind the beautiful Leonardo Dicaprio making a young, gorgeous appearance.

Luhrmann's casting is also impeccable  I love Carey Mulligan ever since I accidentally went to see An Education when I missed the film I was originally supposed to see. One of the happiest accidents because I adored the film. Isla Fisher is another favourite and I can't wait to see her playing Myrtle, she will be perfect. I will stop this ramble now, because I will more than likely do a whole other post once I have actually seen the film. I AM SO EXCITED!

P.S I am OBSESSED with the pictures from the Cannes premier!


No comments:

Post a Comment