Friday 17 May 2013

Restaurant Review #1 | Steak

I have an obsession, one that I spend a ridiculous amount of money on every month. I love everything about it, dressing up, being waited on, the atmosphere, the music, the company, the conversation and obviously the FOOD! I love going to different types of restaurants and trying different cuisine from around the world, the more daring the better. My best friend and I regularly look for good deals in and around the large variation of restaurants in Edinburgh, and on recommendation from another friend we found ourselves in Steak on Picardy Place.
The restaurant is fairly new and has only been open about a year. Its attached to a boutique hotel and a small bar/night club and from the outside it looks very chic. When we arrived our coats were taken and we were led into a beautiful, loft inspired room with huge wooden tables and minimal decoration. I was immediately impressed by the décor and loved the entire mood of the room. It had a relaxed, welcoming but sophisticated look and I knew straight away I was going to love the place.
The menu is obviously pretty limited, as in its definitely not a restaurant for a vegetarian  There was a wide range of steaks at a wide range of prices. You could splash out and get a £60 piece of meat but there were also reasonable choices at £15-£20. The sides on offer are perfect for accompanying a well cooked steak, there are a vast amount of different types veg and choices of fries, potatoes or truffle macaroni. There are also a good range of starters from smoked salmon to steak tartar to prawn cocktail and soup.

My friend and I managed to get a deal where you got soup, wine and a steak for £15.00, all you had to do was add on any sides you wanted. This was really great the quality of the food was amazing and it was very good value for money. We had lentil soup for starter which had a slight hint of cinnamon in it which I'd never came across before. The soup was really tasty and cinnamon gave it a kick which set it aside from other bog standard lentil soups I'd had before. We also got given some cheese and ham soda bread which was again a bit different from the normal French bread. This too was really nice and it was great to try something new.
The main courses arrived and my friend and I could barely conceal our excitement when they started bringing over the array of little side dishes filled with delicious smelling sides. We ordered honey roasted veg, truffle macaroni and triple cooked chips in beef dripping (sounds delicious, tasted better). The veg was perfectly cooked and was an amazing sweet/savoury contrast to the steak. The red onion was caramelised beautifully and the carrots were a perfect crunchy consistency. We already got fries included with our steak but we couldn't resist the sound of the beef dripping chips so decided to order them too. This was not a mistake, the chips were delicious, crunchy and were probably the best I'd ever had. By this point my friend and I were pretty chuffed with the sides we had chosen, but the Pièce de résistance was definitely the truffle macaroni. I'd never tried anything with truffle in it before and was very excited. Another friend of mine had tried and failed to describe the deliciousness of truffles a few weeks before and I must be honest I am also finding it difficult to find the correct words to describe the amazing taste. The macaroni was seriously delicious and bursting with flavour, it was very rich but I wouldn't necessarily say that was a bad thing.
After the sides they brought over the steak, and offered us an array of sauces. The steak was seared to absolute perfection and was presented beautifully on the plate with another side of chips. We tucked in as soon as the waiter turned his back to walk away. My friend and I didn't actually speak to one another for about 5 minutes because we where enjoying the food so much, we just made appreciative noises and pointed at the sides grinning. The steak was completely tender and just melted in your mouth and all the sides complimented each other perfectly. There is not much else I can say apart from we LOVED it!
All in all the price was amazing, the food was exquisite, the decor was gorgeous and although my friend and I had been working all day on a hangover and not to mention on a SUNDAY! This cheered us up no end, and we wouldn't shut up about it to literally everyone we know! If you live in Edinburgh, or are visiting you must visit this restaurant, it has been a real find and I will 100% be going back and bringing along everyone I know.


Click here for www.steakedinburgh.com to take a look at the menu, special offers and make reservations.


Sorry the pictures aren't that great, I wasn't originally planning to blog about this visit to Steak so I was a little unprepared and excited to tuck in!

1 comment: