Thursday 11 September 2014

Unsticky by Sarra Manning | Monthly Book Pick & Review



Something that I haven't really shared on my blog is my love for books and reading. I find nothing more relaxing than indulging myself with a sweet snack and a good book for a few hours. This in mind, I have decided to start reviewing a book month for you guys. I love all genres so there will be something for everybody, and please feel free to throw book suggestions my way too.

So the first book is an old favourite of mine, I picked it up on the way to my first girly holiday to Zante in 2009. I ended up lending it to a few of the girls and we all raved about it around the book starting our own little book club. I think I might have read this book around 10 or 11 times I love it that much. It follows a freshly dumped, disorganized, disheartened and debt riddled Grace on a journey of love, self discovery and happiness. 

After being dumped in her favorite department store on her Birthday of all days, she has a chance encounter with older, rich businessman Vaughn. Skip forward a few chapters she is "dating" Vaughn as his mistress and receiving enough designer clothes to dress a small country. Grace struggles morally with the arrangement in place as he is providing her with an allowance that is helping to clear her debt, but she can't help but feel slightly taken advantage of. When feelings kick in from both sides, and drama with friends and colleagues the story takes a darker turn. Is Grace falling for the egotistical, kind but complicated Vaughn and can they make things work out. 

I can't quite put my finger on what is was I adored about this book, the character of Grace is moody, selfish and frustrating at times but I think that's what makes her so incredibly relatable. Manning creates a realistic setting to the story with Grace being a struggling fashion junior at a magazine, her boyfriend is horrible to her and she feels constantly in her best friends shadow. Things turn around for her and you are just rooting for Grace the whole way because you know she has had such a terrible time of it. The characters are all far from perfect and I think in their flaws is the charm and draw to read on about them. 

There are a few erotic scenes in the book which I know aren't everyone cup of tea, but they definitely add to the story and slot in appropriately. I really hope there is a sequel to this at some point because the relationships are so interesting and I would love to know more. I am such a fan of Manning's character development and writing skill and have now read a lot her books. I really can't recommend this book any more, a chic-lit with a kick.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting :) I like when characters are relatable in books makes them much more interesting and engaging.

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete